Prof. Tao Wang received a B.S. in Polymer Materials (2002) and an M.S. in Materials Science (2005). He obtained his Ph.D. in Soft Condensed Matter Physics from the University of Surrey (UK) in Feb. 2009, under the supervision of Prof. Joe Keddie. He then took a post-doc position in the same group until Oct. 2009 when he moved to the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Sheffield (UK), where he worked with Prof. Richard Jones, FRS and Prof. David Lidzey on organic solar cells. He was awarded funding from “Recruitment Program of Global Experts” (The Thousand Talents Plan) of China in 2013 and was appointed professor in the School of Materials Science & Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology (China). His research interests are optoelectronic devices, polymer physics and polymer materials.
Honors & Awards:
1. Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, 2019
2. Vice Chancellor's Young Achiever Award, University of Surrey, UK, 2017
3. Recruitment Program of Global Experts (The Thousand Talents Plan), China, 2013
4. Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad, China Scholarship Council and the Ministry of Education, China, 2007
5. Ian Macmillan Ward Prize, Polymer Physics Group, Institute of Physics, UK, 2007
1. Wei Li, Mengxue Chen, Jinlong Cai, Emma K.L. Spooner, Huijun Zhang, Robert S. Gurney, Dan Liu, Zuo Xiao, David G. Lidzey, Liming Ding*, Tao Wang*, Molecular order control of non-fullerene acceptors for high efficiency polymer solar cells, Joule 3: 819-833 (2019)
2. Tuning of the Interconnecting layer for monolithic perovskite/organic tandem solar cells with record efficiency exceeding 21%. Pang Wang, Wei Li, Oskar Sandberg, Chuanhang Guo, Rui Sun, Hui Wang, Donghui Li, Huijun Zhang, Shili Cheng, Dan Liu, Jie Min, Ardalan Armin, Tao Wang*. Nano Letters, 2021, 21, 7845-7854.
3. Cold-aging and solvent vapor mediated aggregation control toward 18% efficiency binary organic solar cells. Chuanhang Guo, Donghui Li, Liang Wang, Baocai Du, Zhi-Xi Liu, Ziqiu Shen, Pang Wang, Xue Zhang, Jinlong Cai, Shili Cheng, Cong Yu, Hui Wang, Dan Liu, Chang-Zhi Li, Tao Wang*. Advanced Energy Materials, 2021, 11, 2102000.
4. Chlorinated fullerene dimers for interfacial engineering toward stable planar perovskite solar cells with 22.3% efficiency. Hui Wang, Fabao Li, Pang Wang, Rui Sun, Wan Ma, Mengting Chen, Weiqiang Miao, Dan Liu*, Tao Wang*. Advanced Energy Materials, 2020, 10, 2000615.
5. Wei Li, Mengxue Chen, Zhuohan Zhang, Jinlong Cai, Huijun Zhang, Robert S. Gurney, Dan Liu, Jiangsheng Yu, Weihua Tang*, Tao Wang*, Retarding the crystallization of a non-fullerene electron-acceptor for high performance polymer solar cells, Adv. Funct. Mater., 29: 1807662 (2019)
6. Robert S. Gurney, David G. Lidzey, Tao Wang*, A review of non-fullerene polymer soalr cells: From device physics to morphology control. Rep. Prog. Phys., 82: 036601 (2019)
7. Feilong Cai, Yu Yan, Jiaxu Yao, Pang Wang, Hui Wang, Robert S. Gurney, Dan Liu*, Tao Wang*, Ionic additive engineering toward high-efficiency perovskite solar cells with reduced grain boundaris and trap density. Adv. Funct. Mater., 28: 1801985 (2018)
8. Wei Li, Yu Yan, Yanyan Gong, Jinlong Cai, Feilong Cai, Robert S. Gurney, Dan Liu, Andrew J. Pearson, David G. Lidzey, Tao Wang*, Contrasting effects of energy transfer in determining efficiency improvements in ternary polymer solar cells. Adv. Funct. Mater., 28: 1704212 (2018)
9. Yu Yan, Xuan Liu, Tao Wang*, Conjugated-polymer blends for organic photovoltaics: Rational control of vertical stratification for high performance, Adv. Mater. 29: 1601674 (2017)
10. Yu Yan, Feilong Cai, Liyan Yang, et al. Light-soaking-free inverted polymer solar cells with an efficiency of 10.5% by compositional and surface modifications to a low-temperature-processed TiO2 electron-transport layer, Adv. Mater. 29: 1604044 (2017) (Journal Cover)
11. Liyan Yang, Alexander T Barrows, David G Lidzey*, Tao Wang*, Recent progress and challenges of organometal halide perovskite solar cells, Rep. Prog. Phys., 79: 026501 (2016)
12. Tao Wang*, Nicholas W. Scarratt, Hunan Yi, Alan D. F. Dunbar, Andrew J. Pearson, Darren C. Watters, Tom S. Glen, Andrew C. Brook, James Kingsley, Alastair R. Buckley, Maximilian W. A. Skoda, Athene M. Donald, Richard A. L. Jones, Ahmed Iraqi, David G. Lidzey*. Fabricating high performance, donor-acceptor copolymer solar cells by spray-coating in air. Adv. Energy Mater., 3: 505-512 (2013) (Journal Cover)
13. Tao Wang*, Andrew J. Pearson, Alan D. F. Dunbar, Paul A. Staniec, Darren C. Watters, Hunan Yi, Anthony J. Ryan, Richard A. L. Jones, Ahmed Iraqi, David G. Lidzey*. Correlating structure with function in thermally-annealed PCDTBT:PC70BM photovoltaic blends. Adv. Funct. Mater., 22: 1399-1408 (2012) (Journal Cover)
14. Tao Wang*, Andrew J. Pearson, David G. Lidzey*, Richard A. L. Jones. Evolution of structure, optoelectronic properties and device performance of polythiophene: fullerene solar cells during thermal annealing. Adv. Funct. Mater., 21: 1383-1390 (2011)
15. Tao Wang, Chun-Hong Lei, Dan Liu, Mihaela Manea, José M. Asua, Costantino Creton, Alan B. Dalton, Joseph L. Keddie. A molecular mechanism for toughening and strengthening waterborne nanocomposites. Adv. Mater., 20: 90-94 (2008)
16. Tao Wang, Chun-Hong Lei, Alan B. Dalton, Costantino Creton, Yi Lin, K. A. Shiral Fernando, Ya-Ping Sun, Mihaela Manea, José M. Asua, Joseph L. Keddie. Waterborne, nanocomposite pressure-sensitive adhesives with high tack energy, optical transparency, and electrical conductivity. Adv. Mater., 18: 2730-2734 (2006) (Editor’s Choice, Science, 314:1053, 2006)